Valentine's Day ♥

"The magic of life is made up of knowing that just one other person needs you."
(This was a fortune that I found at work and I thought it was very suiting when thinking of my daughter in my tummy!)
The day started off a bit hectic for me, as I promised a coworker that I would make her cookies and I completely forgot the night before even though I had plenty of time. I think I set my alarm for some time before 8am, but ended up ignoring it and going back to sleep. I finally woke up at 8:15 and realized I had to shower, get ready for work, make cookies and be to work by 9:30! I literally ran out of bed and found a pre-made sugar cookie mix in the cupboard, whipped it out, and began stirring as fast as possible. I was mildly disappointed that I couldn't make the cookies form scratch, but at least I had an alternative this late in the game. I also didn't have any cookie cutters so I was standing there, with my hair a mess, cutting little hearts out of the dough with a butter knife! It's a great mental image, I know. I put those in the oven and bolted into the other room to get dressed because now I knew I wasn't going to have time to shower. I sprang back into the kitchen, pulled the cookies out and put them on a plate and stirred up another batch but was too lazy to make hearts again so these were large circles made from the rim of a drinking glass and little squares I cut quickly with the knife. After throwing those in the oven I ran in the other room to finally fix my mess of hair, I pulled my boots and coat on as quickly as possible and flew back to the kitchen in time to take them out of the oven, toss them on a plate, wrap it in tin foil and zip out the door. I was so exhausted from MAKING COOKIES. And I'm sure the whole time the baby was thinking, "Damn, I've never felt Mum move this fast before!"
Needless to say, I was nine minutes late to work. At least I wasn't late enough to get in trouble for attendance. I'd say I made pretty good timing!! I split the batch of cookies in half and brought one plate to work with me and left the other (shown above, and don't mind the slightly burnt corners you see peeking out..) on the counter for Ashton for when he got home from work. Don't worry, I did cover them so they didn't get stale. :P
Ashton and I both had to work on Valentine's Day, but luckily it wasn't terribly late. I got out at 5:30 and was home by 6, and arranged two red roses next to the cookies on the counter. One from me and a tiny one from baby. Although Ashton was out at 4:15, I was still waiting around until almost 7:30 for him to get home!! :( I didn't know what to do with myself so I ended up doing all the dishes, and eventually pulled out a bag of chips and salsa because my appetite got the best of me. He's lucky I didn't start on that plate of cookies before he got home! He finally arrived and brought me a single long-stem rose that I love. ♥
We then made the yummiest burritos for dinner (whole wheat wrap, rice, black beans, jalepenos, pineapple, pepper jack and mozzarella daiya cheese, tofutti sour cream, and mango salsa), and Ashton's sister and her husband stopped by shortly after that. We decided to stay in for the night and later on we ended up falling asleep to one of my Ghibli favorites, Castle in the Sky.

I hope you and your special someone enjoyed your Valentine's Day as well. ♥



Post a Comment

to top