Looking back at this past year, 2015 was filled to the brim with adventure: I became an Auntie, Liana had her first birthday, I began studying for my insurance designation, Ashton achieved his project management designation, Liana learned to walk and talk, I became pregnant with sprout #2, Liana has been mastering arts and crafts at daycare, Liana had her first sleepovers and twice spent a full week at Grammy's, we went apple picking for the first time as a family, Abel taught Liana the joys of leaf jumping, we picked out our Christmas tree for the first time as a family, and we got to watch Liana's face light up as she saw her play kitchen set on Christmas morning. After typing that list I was hesitant for a second that 2016 could get any more adventurous than that, and then I remembered we are going to have two littles to keep up with. The fun is just beginning!
With all of the craziness that is about to be unleashed, I've decided to keep myself grounded and narrow down a small list of goals that I hope to complete in 2016, and then revisit them at the end of the year to see how I did.
Here's what I've got:
1. Lose baby weight and get in shape. After having Liana I never lost the last seven pounds that I gained and after getting a desk job I gained another three pounds. I'd like to actually make an effort this time to lose the weight and get to a point where my body feels healthy again, especially since I'll be chasing two munchkins around! I'm hoping to start doing yoga again because I used to really love going every week, and after the baby comes I'd like to go on a walk at least once a week with the kids.
2. Achieve the CPCU designation. I passed my first (of eight) exams in June of 2015 and it is supposed to take 2-3 years on average to complete. I have been working my butt off to get this done asap so I can focus on other things, like my growing family. I am hoping to complete it by this June, making my journey just over a year, but I know that will be difficult with the timing of the baby's arrival. Even if it does get pushed back, I will still definitely finish it this year!
3. Be more consistent and thorough with my blog posts. I am still posting here and there, but I feel like I am missing so much. I'm hoping the blogging groups I've joined will keep me motivated and accountable. I've also decided to join in on a photo challenege for the year called Snapshot Saturdays, during which every Saturday I will post a photo that sums up my week. I'm hoping to come up with some creative ideas and collage them all together at the end of the year.
4. Natural unmedicated childbirth number two. I am aiming to have a similar birthing experience with my second baby as I had with Liana. As far as I am concerned, everything went perfectly: I stayed at home and labored on my own and in the bath for a while (also while entertaining my sister and her husband as guests), we made a very smooth forty minute drive to the hospital, I labored in their tub for two hours, I pushed for barely fifteen minutes without any medication or IV necessary, and was breastfeeding my healthy baby girl within a half an hour.
5. Get out and go on more fun adventures as a family. I hope to be able to plan "family fun" days at least monthly to mix things up a bit and not sit on our butts every weekend. They don't have to be anything extravagant; simple things like going to the bounce play area in the mall, Dave & Busters to play arcade games for a few hours, apple or berry picking, or beach days are just fine.
6. Plan monthly date nights. Obviously this isn't my responsibility alone, but I miss spending time with Ashton and having fun together. I'd love an excuse to get all dressed up and go on a "real date," but I'd also have just as much fun on a date night in beating him at video games all night!
7. Get my finances in order. In 2015 I had a goal to pay off one credit card by the end of the year, and I actually made my final payment on December 31st! It feels good to have that out of the way, but 2016 is bringing on a whole new level of financial distress with two babies. This year I'd like to pay off my other credit card and also work on consistently putting a bit in a savings account each week.
8. Excel in my career. Since I am still relatively new in my department, I hope to learn as much as I can and do as well as I can before the baby comes. Our reviews are scheduled for February so hopefully mine is done before I go on leave so I know where I stand thus far. I started studing for my designation to get ahead at work, but I am afraid it might not be too useful in my current department so I am actually looking into getting my Master's degree. But that is a goal to begin in 2017.
9. Make 'me' time. Besides blogging, I want to work on making sure I have a bit of time to myself. With a new baby I want to make sure I still "feel like myself" (I'm sure other mums of young children know exactly what I mean!); painting my nails or taking time to do my hair once in a while, even maintaining my eyebrows and trying out new make up every so often will keep me sane.
I think that is a pretty decent list! I feel like there are several other things that I would like to accomplish, but putting too much on my plate tends to make me feel a bit overwhelmed and I get bogged down in the thought of finding time to do everything rather than starting and achieving anything. I'm excited to begin the year and document our crazy adventures and mishaps all over again!
Do you have goals for the new year? Leave them in the comments, I'd love to hear what others are looking to achieve! x