So... I might not actually be GBS positive?!

For the third week in a row, the appointment with my midwife has caught me by surprise. This week offered several bits of (possibly) really great news.

A few weeks ago, Sundyna (my midwife) delivered the news that I tested positive for Group B Strep. If you read my blog post for that week, you know that I was less than pleased to hear this information. I really dreaded having to be given an IV during labor and didn't want to be put on a timer if my water broke before labor started. I admit, I was also pretty nervous about the increased risk of having to be induced and the cascade of interventions that could follow. This morning however, Sundyna informed me that a mistake was made. When I transferred my prenatal care to Dorchester House, the staff at Dedham Medical sent my patient file to Sundyna and included in that file was a positive diagnosis for Group B Strep based on a urine sample. When Sundyna first told me this, I thought it was a little strange that I was never given the diagnosis while I was still under the care of Dedham Medical, but was too focused on what this would mean for my delivery to question anything. It turns out, the diagnosis really was positive--but it wasn't mine. Sundyna had skimmed through my file to catch up on my patient history, but didn't realize that those test results weren't mine. Dedham Medical made a mistake and sent over a copy of a different patient's test results!! I may have gone through all of that stress and worrying for nothing! Anyway, she did a formal test this morning and I will get my results back later this week. So I may or may not be GBS+. On the one hand, I am relieved that those weren't my results and it's almost like I get a "second chance" to pass. On the other hand, I know there is still a chance that I could test positive and I will probably be a little let down again. But at least I will know what to expect and will be prepared for delivery with a positive diagnosis. I will be calling Sundyna on Thursday to get my results and will be (im)patiently waiting until then!

I also got some updated news regarding my consistently increasing anemia. When I first transferred to Sundyna's care she ordered lab work and my iron level was at 26, which was really concerning and put me at a higher risk of losing a lot of blood during delivery and also increased my chances of having to get a blood transfusion. She prescribed me a higher dose of iron and after just three weeks, my iron level went from, 26 to 29, which is exactly what she had hoped for. Every day that I take my supplement while baby is still in my belly increases the amount of red blood cells that we share and decreases any risks we have. It has already been one week since the blood work was done and there are still two more weeks before baby's estimated arrival. I just have a really good feeling that anemia won't even be a concern during my delivery.

Both of these are kind of up in the air still and could go either way, but I am really hopeful that everything will turn out for the best. I know I will have a happy and healthy baby either way, but being GBS+ and severely anemic are just making everything that much more stressful. Cross your fingers for me that I get a negative test result later this week and I'm going to continue to chug orange juice with my iron supplements!



to top